New Year’s resolutions? Adults, I can hear you groan. Kids, well, kids don’t really need them. Not Elite Kids Coaching kids anyway. They’ve not only got the holiday camps, they’ve also got the Elite Kids Coaching provision in schools too. A couple of years ago, we rolled out the PE Pro app for teachers to plan their PE sessions. It’s been a great success and is now being used far and wide, not just in the immediate West Yorkshire area where we’re based. So even if none of our happy, smiling team is visible during your kids’ PE lessons at school, they still might be there, overseeing things.
OK, so now for you older types. The ones who can’t get the benefit of our in-school sessions. I’m going to remind you of the WikiHow article I found online last year regarding light exercise. It lists a few ideas to get you started with the physical aspect by just integrating some new methodologies into your normal daily routine:
- Get up and stretch every 30 minutes and walk a little every 60 minutes.
- Park your car or get off the bus 10 minutes from your destination.
- Take the stairs instead of the lift when possible.
- Put on music that makes you want to dance whilst doing housework.
The parking, I think, is great. The ten-minute walk to the destination not only gives you a bit of exercise but also promises to save money by way of cheaper car parking charges There’s also some great advice for those of us who aren’t used to physical exercise at all:
- Go for a 30-minute walk or light jog in between activities during the day.
- Walk on a treadmill or ride a stationary bike at an easy pace.
- Use instructional videos to do yoga or tai chi at home.
- Do light strength training 2-3 times weekly to round off your exercise routine.
It’s also important to remember mental health too. The NHS has a simple five-point plan:
- Connect with other people.
- Be physically active.
- Learn new skills.
- Give to others.
- Pay attention to the present moment (mindfulness).
One of the most important things to remember, is not to try to do too much.
Have a look online at some different routines and ideas and give them a go. Our sister company, PE PRO has just launched our FREE online PE challenges daily. Have a look at our social media links to find out more about them:
And don’t forget – have fun!